Sunday, October 24, 2010

Living in a world of distraction

A few months ago, I had a couple in their 80's come into my office.  They were holding hands, and were still genuinely in love.  The had been married for 60 plus years and still were quite vibrant and loving towards one another.  Throughout our conversation, they looked at each other often and smiled.  He gently touched her hand and you could feel the warmth of their love and mutual respect radiate throughout the room.

After they left, I couldn't stop thinking about this couple.  I couldn't help thinking about how love has changed with the generations.  I couldn't help but think with every decade, love and respect between two people deteriorates and relationships don't last. 

I began to wonder if the more technology we develop, the farther we get away from loving and respectful relationships. We have so many distractions in our daily lives and then we have so many "entertainment" distractions as well.  Video games, reality television, texting, Internet, email, chat rooms, social networking sites all take our attention in another direction.  It seems as if we don't have to face the issues with ourselves or with our relationships because we can just drown ourselves with other distractions.

I am guilty of using these distractions.  I think we all are in someway or another.  These distractions however don't "numb" me out.  I don't look at them as a way to truly escape the issues of my life. 

Sometimes I wish I could just turn it all off and go back in time a few months or a few years.  I long for the days without all of these distractions.  I want days where serious conversations take place face to face other than via text messaging. 

With all of these distractions, do we truly have to face what's wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment